[Telepathy] Will Empathy/Telepathy support those?

Ivan Vučica ivucica at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 02:48:52 PST 2010

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 11:02, Guillaume Desmottes <
guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk> wrote:

> AFAIK there is no plan to expose contacts' resource in Telepathy (and so
> Empathy). That's XMPP specific and most user don't use/understand it
> (for example Google Talk randomize the resource iirc).

This is quite useful when user is logged in from multiple workstations, or
even from one workstation. It is possible to know if user is at home, or at
work, or wherever. A practical example is my friend with n810 PDA. He can
log in using PC or n810. I can see if I should be bothering him by looking
at his Resource, and whether or not he can receive files. Resource is quite
useful despite being somewhat underused. Gtalk randomizing it does not mean
Gtalk is doing things "the right way" and that we should ignore Resource
just because Gtalk does it.

I hope that you guys incorporate this in plans for Telepathy and Empathy.
I'm not familiar with Telepathy capabilities, but don't you have some sort
of "meta-field" capability for contact's data? That is, protocol-specific
contact data? If you do, it should be trivial to expose Resource through
this mechanism.

Ivan Vučica