Wayland on Embedded

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue May 8 04:43:07 PDT 2012

On Tue, 8 May 2012 17:02:31 +0530
Abhijit Potnis <abhijitpotnis at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Pekka Paalanen <ppaalanen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 8 May 2012 15:34:58 +0530
> > Abhijit Potnis <abhijitpotnis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello ,
> > >
> > > I am trying to run Wayland on an ARM based board over X, just as we run
> > > Wayland/Weston on a x86 Linux Desktop Machine. I doubt if compiling
> > Wayland
> > > and its dependencies for ARM platform and building Weston so as to run on
> > > X11 back-end would work. Or do I have to write a new back-end for Weston.
> > >
> > > How do I go about this ?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > there is very little point in running Wayland on top of X, unless you
> > are developing or simply curious. What is your aim?
> >

> "Proprietary driver restriction" for running Wayland on the HW, so running
> it on top of X.

And no way to do GL ES 2 on the framebuffer directly? If there is a
way, you could get Weston running without X by writing a new backend.

> The System does not use Mesa for 3D drivers, so I guess there won't be any
> GL support for Wayland Clients. So is it a dead end, or some Wayland
> clients might still work ?

Shared memory buffer passing (implies software rendering) should still
work, yes. You can start experimenting with simple-shm. Toytoolkit
clients that do not explicitly use GL should work, too.

HTH,