[Xcb] Splitting up xcb-util repository

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Sat Sep 4 07:15:59 PDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-09-04 at 06:26 +0200, Vincent Torri wrote:

> having an old system forbid a dev to install autoconf ? Install a
> recent
> version of autoconf in /usr/local, be sure that /usr/local/bin in
> before
> /usr/bin in PATH and that's all. It takes around 5 minutes, maybe less

I don't know if you realize the scope of the impact. Anyone who builds
xorg (developers, distro builders),
which now requires libX11 as of the upcoming 1.4, will need to install a
package that is not
provided through the distro. That means it does not show up in the
package management system
(synaptics yum or whatever) and does not receive upgrades. This is
completely unacceptable to
build software. Of course, this is not an issue for developers.

You might argue, as I once did, that they should only use the tarball
and not re-create the configuration.
The reality is that all (I think) distros apply patches (say adding
translation) and need to re-create the
configuration (as I have seen in a Debian log).

I may not do a good job of explaining the situation, as I am not a
distro builder. Through various comments
and posts on the list, I have come to appreciate  the challenges they
face.

Gaetan