[Xcb] xcb util-cursor, again

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Jul 2 13:16:55 PDT 2013

On 07/ 2/13 11:42 AM, Uli Schlachter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 02.07.2013 20:09, Michael Stapelberg wrote:
>> it has been nearly 5 months without a reply to my last question about
>> how to proceed with regards to util-cursor:
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2013-February/008161.html
>>
>> This is the worst experience I ever had in getting code upstream.
>>
>> Can someone help please?
>
> I have no idea about the FDO side of things, but I think it would be nice if
> this could get a git repo and some releases. I guess that the xcb project admin
> (who is this?) needs to open a bug for side wranglers to make this happen...?

Unfortunately, I haven't been paying that close attention to this project, so
don't remember the current status.

I think I can create a git repo under the xcb directories on freedesktop.org
(I know I can in the xorg directories, and since I have xcb group membership
too, think I can do that as well), if the consensus is that's what we want to
do.   Certainly creating new repos doesn't hurt or cost anything more than a
couple minutes time - it's not a commitment to adopt this code and maintain it
forever, so there's no big risk there.

I think part of the problem here is there is no xcb project admin - the original
leaders, while still around for answering questions and reviewing changes, have
mostly moved on to other work and aren't driving the project direction these
days, and while other developers have stepped up to keep things moving, no one
has really stepped forward as a new leader to make decisions about direction
like this.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com