mime-type/application association spec

Jeroen ten Berge Jeroen.ten.Berge at Vialis.nl
Fri Jun 13 16:17:19 EEST 2003

> > IMHO it's better to say uses_vfs instead of adding the
> gnome keyword,
> > future desktop's and maybe QT will use a vfs-type implementation in
> >  their libraries, maybe another idea is this : if app.showall
> > supports most URI's, then tell which URI's are not supported
> > (e.g. as URI->notsupported or something), if app.showsome
> > supports only a handfull URI's, then mention them
> > (e.g. as URI->supported or something)...
>
> What? This is exactly the reason the gnome keyword is added. KDE and
> gnome uris are different, so if it says just uses_vfs and you got a
> (KDE) webdav://server/dir uri a gnome app would fail to load
> it, because
> gnome-vfs uses http://server/dir for webdav. Etc.
This is not what i meant, i don't think it's a good idea to use gnome/kde keywords in the specification, the kde and gnome window managers should just adopt to what is specified, this is the only way to get a unified desktop, if we're going to add gnome/kde specific  arguments, then what's the use of standardizing ?
That's what i meant with it.