Proposed Browser Bookmark Sharing Standard.

Claes Holmerson claes at it-slav.net
Fri Jun 27 11:46:34 EEST 2003

As far as I can see by a quick glance at the xbel spec, it doesn't define
where the file is stored? Also I would think that much of the thoughts
that have been put into the .desktop files relating to start menus etc,
should apply equally well to bookmarks? After all, the start menu is kind
of a bookmark list, only predefined, and pointing to applications instead
of web pages.

xbel means xml bookmark exchange language, and seems suitable more for
import/export of bookmarks, less for sharing bookmarks and working
together with the same set of bookmarks. Serveral applications that writes bookmarks
at the same time using xbel would risk writing over each others
changes. This is something I think this new proposal solves better.

Perhaps this is not reason enough to change standard, but I think it is
sane and fits well with other freedesktop standards.

Claes