Proposed Browser Bookmark Sharing Standard.

Alexander Kellett lypanov at kde.org
Fri Jun 27 12:08:52 EEST 2003

On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 10:46:34AM +0200, Claes Holmerson wrote:
> xbel means xml bookmark exchange language, and seems suitable more for
> import/export of bookmarks, less for sharing bookmarks and working
> together with the same set of bookmarks. Serveral applications that writes bookmarks
> at the same time using xbel would risk writing over each others
> changes. This is something I think this new proposal solves better.

don't see any concurrency handling in the spec. and i personally
think that with multiple files this will be *much* more difficult.
if any spec is thought of then it should be xbel + standard location
(i agree that this really is missing in the xbel xml spec, and doesn't
 even belong there anyway. a freedesktop wrapper for the xbel spec
 *would* therefore be really nice)

anyway, more important, several new things need to get in any new
spec. both konqi and mozilla (and galeon i guess) have a lack of
support for roaming bookmark suppoert. this should be standardized
somehow. i was thinking of doing simple transaction based xml change
logs with a webdav server and support for multiple readers and
possibly some sort of suport for multiple writers. anyways i (we even)
are still completely in the idea stage, haven't even looking for
previous work on it yet.

also, nautilus and moz should be using xbel. which i don't think is
currently the case. not sure about epiphany but teuf said it may do :)

mvg,
Alex