org.freedesktop.PowerManagement version 0.2

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 14:17:56 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 19:54 +0000, Nate Nielsen wrote:
> Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Latest version for review:
> >
> > http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/temp/power-management-spec-0.2.html
>
> Perhaps this is out of the scope of org.freedesktop.PowerManagement, but
> I'm wondering if the following has been accounted for:
>
> gnome-keyring (and most likely kwallet) needs a way of flushing certain
> data from memory before Hibernation. Putting certain data (passwords,
> etc...) on a disk would compromise the security of a system.

Sure, g-p-m has been doing this for a few months, although users didn't
seem to like the feature so it's turned off by default [1].

> Is there a way to perform actions before hibernation by listening to a
> DBus interface? Signals may not work in this case, because of race
> conditions. It would seem that a DBus signal could be delivered, the
> hibernate action take place, all before the signal handler can take
> appropriate action.

Yes, I considered a registration interface for other stuff like
network-manager-applet and stuff like GAIM, but I'm waiting to see what
Dan is going to come up with XMSP.

> Am I completely barking up the wrong tree? Do I need to look elsewhere
> for such notifications?

No, you are barking at the right tree in my opinion. ;-)

Richard

[1] http://hughsient.livejournal.com/19481.html