XDG Icon Spec: requesting new icons for headsets, speakers, headphones

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Wed May 13 23:58:24 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 13 May 2009, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Regardless whether a hostile fork is attempted or Rodney gives up the
> spec voluntarily, the problem is that we'd have to find someone else
> (who is credible) who would be willing to maintain the spec.

Personally, I think the idea of a "minimal" icon specification is broken by
design, this way we'll never get to themes that are usable cross-desktop.
There are so many apps out there using their own icon names, and frankly,
that's ok in many cases.

What this issue needs is a directory of icons with
1. name of the icon & detailed description of what is does and how to use it
2. a list of projects that use the icon, and in which context they use it
3. ideally, a face-to-face comparison of PNGs.

In other words, I believe a platform to get together and share ideas for icon
consolidation is more worthwhile than a forked spec. If an icon is used by
projects across different desktops and has a semantically clean purpose then
that pretty much makes it "approved" on its own, without the need of a
High Royal Rubberstamp.

Of course, that list/directory would start with the existing spec,
and hopefully also expand on the existing icon descriptions a bit.

> Anyone up for this?

I'm banging my head, but I fear I won't be able to put in the necessary effort
to make for a "responsible" maintainer. Bummers. (I guess that makes the above
paragraphs moot because someone has to actually work on it. Anyways, just
wanted to get it out there.)

Regards,
  Jakob