[Xesam] Nepomuk/Xesam future (was Re: condition of 1.0 ?)

Jamie McCracken jamie.mccrack at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 24 08:22:08 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 14:19 +0200, Roberto Guido wrote:
> On Friday 24 April 2009 10:54:24 you wrote:
> > I am working on tracker, and
> > we are using nepomuk.
> >
> I cannot understand how a project listed in the Freedesktop directory may not
> only support a de-facto imposed specification but also drop support for the
> language (Xesam) expressely aiming at interoperability and easy of use.
> Probably (surely) Xesam 1.0 ontology is actually more steps back the Nepomuk
> one, but also (as you suggested) has his own pros, such as a more confortable
> query mechanism: I'm looking for a re-introduction of the Xesam support in
> Tracker, ASAP.

unfortunately nokia are funding development of tracker and have
preferred to make use of the more powerful nepomuk framework

its unlikely that xesam support will be added to tracker now (though a
future xesam 2 than encompasses nepomuk might)

also with kde (strigi + nepomuk) and gnome (tracker + nepomuk)
standardising on nepomuk, xesam is by and large redundant

I dont know the state of beagle or their plans so I cant comment on what
they are doing

Sadly the other indexers are not really relevant to the major desktops
at this time so xesam does not look a viable standard at the moment

jamie