[Xesam] oscaf/xesam ontology merge: who is going to maintain/edit what?

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Mon Jun 15 05:11:30 PDT 2009

Hi,

Stefan Decker is a busy person, he won't react to every mail you send to
his address.
(actually, this is the reason why he usually does not answer emails,
because so many people do send him)

We agreed with him to move the domain and server into the oscaf
ownership, which I will help doing now.
both domains are of interest and both are in his hands:
* semanticdesktop.org
* oscaf.org
Giving shell accounts to those machines to masses of people does not
help, so I wonder who exactly needs an account.
Once I have root to the machines, I can see what we do, I am still in
the process of doing that (and a lot of other things...)

about GIT:
we need an apache server we can tweak until it does what we need. We
must host the ontologeis on semanticdesktop.org and up until now, we
also have a big community website there, which is a bit dormant.

i see no reason to use gitorious to host ontologies and standardization
namespaces, that would be dangerous. I would rather do it as we have
done in the last three years, we use a cronjob to copy the latest-from-trunk
https://dev.nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/repos/trunk/ontologies-public/
to here:
http://www.semanticdesktop.org/ontologies/

that has the advantage to have a nice SVN for working, and a stable HTTP
server for hosting. If the subversion breaks, it does not drag down the
hosting with it.

best
Leo

It was Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen who said at the right time 11.06.2009
07:19 the following words:
> 2009/6/10 Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com>:

>>> This sounds perfect to me. I would even suggest to use www.semanticdesktop.org
>>> instead of xesam.org since that is the namespace of the ontologies anyway.
>>> + the tools are already in place there.
>>>
>> Sounds sane - who owns semanticdesktop.org? Whois says Stefan Decker
>> of deri.org...
>>
>> Is it a hosting solution where we can create shell accounts for the
>> involved maintainers?
>>

> For those of you not following xdg at freedesktop.org - Aaron Seigo is
> trying to rally people to use gitorious.org for spec hosting... Maybe
> we should proactive and support his idea?
>
> Aaron says:
> "...today i moved the embryonic git repository for xdg specifications to
> gitorious.org:
>
>        http://gitorious.org/xdg-specs/
>
> it is owned by a team called "xdg-specs"
>
>        http://gitorious.org/+xdg-specs
> "
>
> A git repo is easy to move if we ever want that.

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +49 631 20575-116
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313