[Xesam] An open-source project for desktop ontology maintenance

Sebastian Trüg strueg at mandriva.com
Tue May 5 02:09:05 PDT 2009

On Monday 04 May 2009 21:17:39 Roberto Guido wrote:
> On Monday 04 May 2009 11:49:29 Sebastian Trüg wrote:
> > Any objections against me creating the "desktop-ontologies" project on
> > sourceforge and creating the "devel" mailing list?
>
> My questions are not about the name or the distributing platform, but about
> governance of this new (or at least recycled) project.
>
> Who is involved? How to maintain discussion about relevant modifications in
> the ontology? What is relevant, what is not? How to require a modification?

it will be hard to maintain an ontology community-driven. But I see no other
alternative at the moment.

> I like the iteration model from http://xesam.org/main/ProjectStructure ,
> perhaps slow but able to grant satisfation by (almost) everyone: can be
> adopted to this "Desktop Ontologies" also?
>
> A project aiming at a community-driven specification is not just a page on
> SF, some more detail has to be defined...

exactly. That is why I wanted to start with a new project, something without
history. I don't think using xesam.org is a good idea. For two reasons:
1. the name - xesam is the search API, and the ontologies should be maintained
   under a neutral name
2. missing infrastructure - a wiki is IMHO one of the worst ways to discuss
   something. Thus, we need a bug tracker and dedicated mailing list and all
   that jazz