New "apitrace trace" command patch series

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Nov 2 13:21:26 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 07:56:40 +0000, José Fonseca <jose.r.fonseca at gmail.com> wrote:
> Note that for Windows/MacOSX the wrapper is created in
> /path/to/apitrace/wrappers, to avoid interfering with glretrace.

I did notice that. What I didn't make obvious was that I had changed
that behavior in the code I was testing.

My goal was consistency when looking for the wrapper in either the build
directory tree or in the installed <prefix>/lib/apitrace directory. In
the patch series I opted for removing the "wrappers" directory from the
build tree. From what you say below it sounds like you might have
preferred if I had added "wrappers" to the installed directory instead.

Anyway, that's easy to change. In the meantime, I'm still not sure why I
can't get tracing to work on OS X.

> Actually I want to uniformize everything: put all in a wrappers
> subdir, and rename glxtrace.so as libGL.so.1, so that we can trace on
> linux both with LD_PRELOAD or LD_LIBRARY_PATH (given the later
> mechanism is actually more robust, and required for Unigine, althought
> trickier to to setup), but I was waiting for "apitrace trace" to come
> to life, so that all this nasty business could become hidden from
> users.

Sounds like a good plan. We should be able to move to something like
this quite soon.

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com