Apitrace builds on Windows XP

José Fonseca jose.r.fonseca at gmail.com
Thu May 23 07:30:37 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 3:12 PM, José Fonseca <jose.r.fonseca at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Arthur Huillet <arthur.huillet at free.fr>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I regularly use José's builds on Windows 7, and they work fine. On
>> Windows XP
>> however, trying to run any of the binaries (qapitrace, apitrace, ...)
>> yields
>> the following error message: "apitrace.exe is not a valid Win32
>> application".
>>
>> Has anyone experienced this? Do you know where it comes from and if
>> anything
>> can be done about it?
>>

> I don't have any XP VM handy. Could you open the executable with
> http://www.dependencywalker.com/ and see if there's any complain about a
> missing symbol?

I found an old XP VM, and indeed it seems that the generated executables
depend on post-XP Windows version.

Binaries compiled with MinGW look alright though. However MinGW binaries
have problems of their own (e.g, I'm running into some weird gcc or
libstdc++ bug ).

It looks like the only way of getting this to work is to build binaries for
XP separately.  There is
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2012/10/08/10357555.aspx  but that
implies using older windows sdk, which means that D3D11.1 would be lost.

I'm afraid I don't see an easy way here.  According to wikipedia extended
support for XP will end on April 2014.  Is it still relevant?

Jose