[avahi] Newbie to avahi, minimum install reqs?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Feb 8 03:29:42 PST 2007

On Wed, 07.02.07 05:08, Simo Hosio (zion at ee.oulu.fi) wrote:

Hi!

> I am intending to start using ovahi on MAEMO platform (Nokia 770 & N800
> Internet tablets, based on Debian Linux). And the initial problem is that I
> am not too familiar with Linux / C environment :)

Since Avahi is apparently a dependency of "Canola" it already has
been ported to Maemo.

Deep Avahi integration is something the 770/800 really needs. For
finding other people to chat with, for finding other peoples machines
for exchanging files, and so on and so on. Someone should really start
to work on this! (Not me... ;-))

> However, I suppose I need the libavahi-client-dev also installed in my
> developer environment (using scratchbox). I have tried poking it around
> manually, copying the headers to /usr/include and the .pc file for
> pkgdonfig to /usr/lib/pkgconfig... Is this enough? Or how do I do it the
> "right" way, i.e. does Avahi package contain a handy way to install single
> components from sources, since ARMEL packages are not available.

The header files and the pkg-config files should be enough. (of course
in addition to the .so files...)

> What do I need to do in order to make e.g. the client-browse, and
> client-publish working? Meaning the basic examples at avahi homepages..
> compiling them with "gcc client-browse-services.c `pkg-config avahi-client
> --cflags --libs'" just says:
>
> /scratchbox/compilers/cs2005q3.2-glibc-arm/lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/3.4.4/../../../../arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/ld:
> cannot find -lavahi-common

If you "just copy things around" you're likely to get problems with
borked paths in pkg-config files.

AFAIK Maemo uses debian packages? It might be much easier to just take
them and deactivating a few things and then rebuilding them for
maemo.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/