[avahi] [ANNOUNCE] mod_dnssd 0.6

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 28 09:07:09 PST 2009

On Wed, 28.01.09 08:56, Gaspard Bucher (gaspard at teti.ch) wrote:

> Cool, great news.
>
> I have a (stupid) question regarding ".local" domain. I tried a setup
> to advertise a vhost called "zena.local" with avahi:
> "/etc/avahi/services/zena.service"
> <service-group>
>   <name>zena playground</name>
>   <service>
>     <type>_http._tcp</type>
>     <port>80</port>
>   </service>
> </service-group>
>
> But the Bonjour browser in Safari would recognize it as "zena.local."
> (trailing dot). Why is that so ? "zena.local" would still be resolved
> correctly, but the entry for the vhost is clearly not the same if you
> call "zena.local" or "zena.local.".

The final dot has the effect of causing the resolver not to search for
that name in configured search domains.

i.e. if you have a search domain list of "bar.com" and "waldo.com"
configured and look for a host "foo.local" then he resolver will first
try to resolve "foo.local" as is, then look for "foo.local.bar.com"
and finally for "foo.local.waldo.com". If the final dot is set the
latter two domains will not be looked for.

Oh, btw. It's not nice to hijack threads for completely unrlated
questions.