[avahi] Disappearing and reappearing service if a text is changed

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed May 27 07:45:12 PDT 2009

On Wed, 27.05.09 15:47, Florian Erfurth (f.erfurth at reel-multimedia.com) wrote:

> >> Hi, I found out, after timeout avahi tells me the host does have such
> >> address like "169.254.9.181" which is wrong (true: "192.168.0.120").
> >> Where the hell does avahi get such address? And why does it happen?
> >>
> > That's an IPv4LL address. It gets assigned by avahi-autoipd or a
> > similar tool. Most modern systems use it as fallback when no manual
> > configuration and no DHCP is available.
> >

> Umm... on Server the IP is set manually to 192.168.0.120 so it has a
> fixed address. This is why I'm wondering about the IPv4LL address
> displayed on client. How can I get rid of this?
> Sometime I just got "169.254.9.XXX". (this is bad)
> Sometime I got "169.254.9.XXX" and after some seconds I got
> "192.168.0.120". (this is ok)

It's not the client side that makes these adresses up. It's the host
itself which configures those addresses. On Linux use "ip addr" to
find out which addresses are assigned to your interface.

On a local network it shouldn't matter which adress is picked for
connection as long as it is a valid one. That's why it is not
deterministic which address is handed to applications when they try to
resolve a host name.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net