[Clipart] OpenClipart and Debian.

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Jan 13 00:06:20 PST 2005

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Bryce Harrington wrote:
>

>>Well, clearly you're offending people here on this list, so while you
>>claim to be respectful of other people's sensitivities, clearly you're
>>failing to do so here.
>

> Ah.  I didn't know that.  This is the first time someone says that.
>
> I'm sorry if I offended anyone.  Please accept my sincere apologies.
>

>>Your emails sound like you are demanding us to become censors for
>>Germany.
>

> I honestly can't imagine who you see that in my emails. I proposed to
> separate UN and Olympic flags from other flags. That's not censorship, but
> it still addresses the issue well enough. And I made very effort to say
> that OCAL is not expected to bend over backwards for everyone. Just make a
> "reasonable" effort.
>
> You seem to think I suggested something dramatic like putting a police
> officer at the entrance of OCAL. I suggested a separate category for
> non-UN non-Olympic flags.
>

>>>Please don't say that, it's not nice. And no, I'm not.
>>
>>Well, within the past few days you've suggested that the people here are
>>insensitive, unreasonable, and irresponsible.
>

> I think that some coments have been insensitive. I haven't used the other
> terms though, nor did I think them. That's not picking a fight. And it's
> no more than what other members have done. I've seen belittling of
> opinions that are not shared by a poster, and that is insensitive.
>
> You know? I actually don't think the Nazi flag is offensive. I just accept
> that many find it offensive and I accept it.
>

>>You've called people's comments and positions irrelevant and silly.
>

> That's not an insult, and they were accurate statements. Whether one
> particular person doesn't agree with someone's culture/morality/etc is not
> the issue. I don't think the Nazi flag is offensive, I don't find it
> offensive, but that is irrelevant. The point is that a significant group
> of people do.
>

>>These are all rather rude things to say to people, and makes them angry
>>and quarrelsome.  This is why I say that someone could think you're
>>trying to pick a fight.
>

> Okay, I can accept that some things I said might have come accross badly.
> Email is a poor medium of communication. I can't convey such things as
> tone of voice and body language. Something that might sound perfectly
> reasonable to me when I write it might sound different to you when you
> read it. I apologize for any offence I might have caused. Really.
>

>>It would be preferrable to focus your comments onto the solutions Ted
>>proposed rather than arguing about the opinions he expresses.
>

> I'll give this some thought. I'm not sure I agree, but I'm not sure I
> disagree.
>

>>In some of your emails it does sound like you are proposing for complete
>>removal of the flag.  It is good that you clarify that.
>

> My first email might have seemed like that. I admit I hadn't thought about
> [...]

Of course peace all the time...just pick up a shovel and start digging if you
want this to happen. People get more turned off by words of criticism of our
hard work (which we do freely) rather than someone who says there is a concern,
and here is some code/patch/plan to implement it...and then says hey, ocal is
great, and lets do this for X, X, X....

I guess what I'm saying is please contribute something...I think we are starting
to flog a dead horse now and people (including myself) are kinda burnt on this
rollercoaster.

Thus, please read through the *many* replies and propose the best way to deal
with what you are suggesting. Even better would be to spend some time making it
happen. We are all reasonable people and we need to make sure our community is
based on respect and sound arguments and not rash judgments and tactics of
necessity and urgency.

With Respect, Peace, and All Religions Unified,

Jon :)

jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

Inkscape (http://inkscape.org)