[Clipart] deleted files

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Fri Oct 14 11:01:09 PDT 2005

Nicu Buculei (OCAL) wrote:
> I was looking on the website for some images: the candidates for our
> project logo (I wanted a specific one) and those not on the website
> anymore.

Ah.  They probably were in the logos directory.  The entire directory
was removed for release 0.17, due to the trademark and copyright
issues.  However, the OCAL logo submissions could be restored to the
collection, perhaps in special/logo-submissions or some such place.
They can probably be found in the failed files archive for 0.17,
which should be at /downloads/0.17/openclipart-0.17-failed.zip
or some similar address.

> IIRC, we used to have a top level directory for them.

We had a top-level logos directory, but we kept finding out that
images in it were not public domain or contained trademarks.

> Another logical place where I looked was in the 'logos' category.
> It appears the files were deleted, not moved.

They were moved, but the directory they were moved to is not
included in the main distribution.  (Deleted?  Jonadab never
deletes anything...)  The OCAL logos, though, could be moved
back in, I think.  If I'd thought about them at the time,
they might not have been moved out in the first place.

> A second approach was to use the search page:
> http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/keyword_search.cgi
> Searching for the 'ocal' keyword, the result is 12 files, supposed to be
> in logos/OpenClipArtLibrary/, but I get "404, not found" for any of them.

Now, that's odd.  I wonder if keywords.idx did not get updated properly
for the 0.17 release.  (I *thought* it was...)

> I wonder from where the search tool is extracting the results, as it
> return URLs for files not existing in the repository.

It gets its results from keywords.idx, which is (or is supposed to
be) generated by one of the scripts, clipart-authority-control IIRC.