[Clipart] deleted files

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Fri Oct 14 11:41:31 PDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 02:01:09PM -0400, Nathan Eady wrote:
> Nicu Buculei (OCAL) wrote:
> > I was looking on the website for some images: the candidates for our
> > project logo (I wanted a specific one) and those not on the website
> > anymore.
>
> Ah.  They probably were in the logos directory.  The entire directory
> was removed for release 0.17, due to the trademark and copyright
> issues.

I also went fairly postal on anything else that smelled like a logo.
Debian, ubuntu, openoffice, and other symbology and such has been moved
out of the library.  It's possible we could get permission to distribute
those as public domain but I think folks on this list are right; it'll
be much less future confusion if we keep it strict and simple:  No
logos.

Of course, this ignores the fact that it *would* be very valuable to
have a collection of logos, but as I think we recognized, that is
probably something best done externally to this project, since it would
need to attend a lot to issues of trademark, licenses, and so forth.
No such project has sprung up yet, but I'm still hopeful that someone
will get inspired and grab the initiative to creat that.

> > A second approach was to use the search page:
> > http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/keyword_search.cgi
> > Searching for the 'ocal' keyword, the result is 12 files, supposed to be
> > in logos/OpenClipArtLibrary/, but I get "404, not found" for any of them.
>
> Now, that's odd.  I wonder if keywords.idx did not get updated properly
> for the 0.17 release.  (I *thought* it was...)

Btw, it's also possible I totally fubarred up the keywords.idx for
0.18.  I am very unfamiliar with how this gets generated; I followed the
directions and it *looks* like it generated it ok, but it's quite
possible I did something incorrectly.  So some reviewing of that, plus
either fixes or directions on how to fix, would be appreciated.