[Clipart] how to create new openclipart releases?

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sun Mar 1 15:21:50 PST 2009

Awesome. And, yes, this is the right approach to making a really great
package which good quality.

more below...

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Michael Krnac
<michaelkrnac at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I also thought about packaging.
>
> OpenClipart uses ccHost (http://wiki.creativecommons.org/CcHost)
> ccHost has an API to get data. (http://ccmixter.org/query-api)
>
> But i have some problems using these API.
>
> For a package we need all Cliparts from one tag (for example animals).
> Here a example to get the data for the tag "ant".
> http://openclipart.org/media/api/query?tags=ant&f=html
>
> It works fine, but html is not so good to use further. XML would be nice!
> http://openclipart.org/media/api/query?tags=ant&f=xml
>
> But the XML has a messed up structure.

Can you describe? We might get this for free upon upgrading to ccHost
5. I will prioritize this.

> The next problem is that when i want the data from an tag with a lot of
> objects like "animal" the Api doesn't work anymore.

You mean it causes an error? Or, what? Can you describe?

> Another problem is that in the api data sometimes there is an svg linked and
> sometimes the png preview.
>
> I think for clean packages there are some work to do.
> - seperate in the upload GUI svg and preview
> - create some basic categories ... every clipart can only be in one
> categorie

Really? I think if this is the wrong approach now. Since we have tags,
those are already categories. We should be looking at creating a
manifest or some type of xml of all the files with external metadata,
which could then be slurped in by any browser.  We could use one of
the clip art browsers out there to make this modification, or look at
how they are doing that...The sidecar metadata file idea would work
here, with one big manifest.rdf file with the descriptions of all the
clip art in it.

This is described here:
http://www.figuiere.net/hub/blog/?2007/02/25/503-exempi and here:
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Sidecar_File

So, I would say the package would have the structure:

/openclipart-VERSION-TYPE.FILE-TYPE

    /clipart
    /clipart/manifest.rdf

Inside of manifest.rdf would be the cobbled together pointers to each
file with their metadata. Then, if we get the metadata working, can
include that too. I think good to have the fallback of the
manifest.rdf though for any readers.

Hubert, adding you here because you might have some insight into the
best strategy for listing out metadata that is disconnected from the
files. I know that the sidecar file thing, usually is a file like
FILE_NAME.SVG and sidecar would be FILE_NAME.RDF or FILE_NAME.XMP
right? just thinking of a way to make this nice for a browser and
possibly something like tracker for our openclipart package full of
clip arts pulled from Open Clip Art Library.

We could keep the downloads in the people folders to keep simple, and
keep the loading of a folder fast in a browser window.

> Jochen maybe we can work on that together... in german :-)
>
> Michael

Cool! Yes, let me know if you need anything else to get running on
this. I think the thing to keep in mind is to go the brute force
approach, then can keep refining as we go, but should keep the brute
force approach so this doesn't get derailed.

We can then make automatic last 30 days package of clipart which
anyone can download at anytime, then we can do a monthly new package
to keep the releases going...sound good? If so, can add to the
roadmap...

Jon

http://rejon.org/