[Clipart] Thumbnails

worms invasion wormsxulla at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 17 10:34:11 PDT 2009

Hello!

--- On Tue, 3/17/09, Jochen Stärk <jstaerk at usegroup.de> wrote:

> From: Jochen Stärk <jstaerk at usegroup.de>
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] Thumbnails
> To: "worms invasion" <wormsxulla at yahoo.com>
> Cc: clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
> Date: Tuesday, March 17, 2009, 12:29 PM

> Its a bit tricky to set up a test system mirroring e.g. the
> database and
> files in the current plattform, ccHost.

As poinred out before, I'm not really a "technical" person, so I'll ask silly naive questions.
- You don't really need a full current Openclipart database to test "stuff" on it, do you? Just a test database with a dozen of users, one hundred cliparts, something like that?
- If ccHost is so "tricky" that we were unable to do it for the persons who were willing to help, or too tricky for these persons to do it themselves, then, in my very, very, very humble opinion, it is TOO tricky and something has to be done about that... (insert suggestions here)
- How "open" are we if we repeatedly fail to give potential contributors the "tools" to work on the code?

Again... it's more a brainstorm here... do we have svn, cvs, a way to browse the code, a page on the website which explains how to check in/check out, steps to work on the code...? Where does the own Openclipart code live, - I'm not talking about the ccHost code... etc. ?

> > If that is the case, then I believe Openclipart should
> maybe think about that, and maybe change to another
> platform, which would make it easier for programmers to code
> something.
>
> One the one hand yes, on the other hand I think this is a
> open source
> project, so a suggestion is very nice but a contribution is
> much nicer.

I wasn't suggesting to move to Gallery2 (but that's an idea! ;-), I was more pointing out that "something similar to Gallery2" could maybe be done more easily. In the Openclipart project department, my sole contribution was a few images, you can't contribute on every project at the same level. :-)
I really feel sad - and interrogative - to see so many people willing to contribute, and so many to fail..

> I think the strategy to use a more or less off-the-shelf
> plattform,
> ccHost, is very good because openclipart can then also
> benefit from
> improvements contributed by other projects. I share
> Nicu's concerns
> regarding missing features (e.g. tags or proper SVG
> randering) on the
> proposed new plattform (gallery2)

re. "tags" and "keywords", Gallery2 has that (they are two separate things in the Gallery2 world). But again, I wasn't suggesting "let's just move to Gallery2", just... "could we get inspired by something like that?"

> and I would like to thank
> him for
> helping to migrate to ccHost, in particular for
> re-uploading images and
> his daily tarball script.

Kudos to Nicu!

P.S.: Gallery2 is open-source too, the code is http://fisheye3.atlassian.com/browse/gallery there