[Clipart] External Source tags + source

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Sat May 16 15:08:56 PDT 2009

I agree with that fact that we need some way of attribution and proper
credit. I don't like taking credit for other people's clipart either. I've
noticed that you and Papapishu upload *many* cliparts that come from Wiki
Commons, and other places, and when I get around to uploading again, no
doubt, I'll do the same.

However, I don't agree with making a new upload page for that entire tag
category. On the current OCAL, most of the upload pages are the exactly the
same - the only difference they do is have a sentence difference and add
certain tags. With this new Beta, it's an opportunity to change things and
make them more efficient - or less cluttered.

There are a number of solutions that could work together to produce what you
want, the first and easiest one is to change the Author label to Uploader.
Using this clipart
<http://216.40.235.204/cchost/files/johnny_automatic/184>as an example
 we can see that will make a change to people's perceptions
straight away. We could do some check boxes or "possible system tags", e.g.
("externalsource", "

I don't know who's been following the latest emails, so I'll summarise my
thoughts on some ideas here. (I might need to make some visual proofs so
people undersand what I'm thinking and trying to say.) We could use
trackbacks  to do external sourced clipart. This would make a traceable lead
to the source, and would possibly give most attribution without too much
work from the uploader.

To my understanding, we already have the data, it's just a matter of putting
them into the proper place. It would mean a few changes to the upload form,
and clipart details page, but with PHP this is easily enough achieved.
Cchost is where my un-knowledge lies, so we'll need to talk to the
programmers about what's possible.

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 7:11 AM, John Olsen <johnny_automatic at mac.com>wrote:

> On May 15, 2009, at 11:57 AM, clipart-request at lists.freedesktop.org
> wrote:
> >

> > Message: 1
> > Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 12:44:19 +0200
> > From: Michael Krnac <michaelkrnac at googlemail.com>
> > Subject: Re: [Clipart] Some thoughts about OCAL design
> > To: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
> > Cc: Open Clip Art Library list <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>
> >
> > We use the oranges to Explain the diffrence between original Clipart
> > and
> > Remix.
> > For "old" OCAL Members the words are enough so we can simply add
> > Text Links.
> > But for New users it is not so easy to understand, whats the diffrence
> > between original and remix.
> > I hope we get there an explaining comic from nicu soon.
> >
> > One of our goals is to get new users.
> > Thats why we want to make it as clear as possible.
> > We use the oranges here:
> > http://216.40.235.204/cchost/view/media/upload
> >

> I still think we are missing a whole category of uploads.  These
> indeed make up the majority of my uploads.  These are not original
> designs that I created nor do I remix items from OCAL.  These uploads
> are mechanical extractions and cleanups of public domain images.  I
> cannot and will not take credit for these as a designer (when they are
> my creations I upload them as my own).  Currently we upload them under
> the category of "external source".  Perhaps this is an issue of
> semantics - the original music orientation of ccHost still has us
> using some terms more clearly related to that - remix being one.
> Traditionally in art we would call remixes - derivations, now we might
> call them mix ups. So I guess the problem might be that we consider
> the person who uploads the file to be the creator.  I suppose I am the
> creator in that I brought the SVG file into existence, but modesty
> prevents me from taking much credit for that simply mechanical act.
> Also this does not address items that are just moved over from some
> other site like Wiki Commons.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Olsen

Cheers