[compiz] Compiz Community

Mike Dransfield mike at blueroot.co.uk
Wed Nov 8 11:30:10 PST 2006

Jeffrey Laramie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to compiz and to this list but I'd like to contribute. I couldn't find
> a more appropriate place to ask a few questions about the compiz project
> (which is actually my first question).
>
> 1. Since the apparent compiz/beryl fork I don't see a compiz "community" site.
> Is there one?

The compiz.biz site is looking good at the moment,  many thanks to Ben.
I particularly like the open box mod to the old cube.

> 2. Is compiz going to continue to be developed, and if so, is there a road map
> for future development/migration?

Compiz has always been in development, in fact today we see 2 new
very interesting plugins.  Hopefully everyone can put forward their ideas
for Compiz direction.  I personally feel that most of the core is fairly
done,
any new developments can be confined to plugins.  I will brain dump onto
the forums about my thoughts as soon as I have the time.

> 3. There was some discussion on the beryl site over the last few days and it
> appears that Guillaume has agreed to stop redirecting the compiz sites to
> beryl. Is he also releasing the ownership of the compiz.net and compiz.org
> domains? Is anyone following up on that? Are there plans to launch a new
> compiz site?

I am not sure if he is prepared to transfer the domains over, I think he
might
be.  I am available to work out a transfer, although I would rather it
was transfered
to David.  David, would you be prepared to accept ownership of the domain?

> I'm afraid my coding skills are too weak to help compiz development, but I
> could help with documentation, web page maintenance, and other less technical
> tasks. Let me know if I can help.

I am trying to put my ideas for the general direction.  I think  the
overall aim of the
site should be to encourage and help developers to write their own
plugins.  If we
can help new developers to write plugins then there will be plenty to
attract
new users.  Once there are guidelines in place for what people want,
then a todo
list can be formed.  I feel that most of the input from users has been
given in the
Beryl forums.  We should work towards implementing these plugins, each one
should be discussed in the forums before coding so that they can
incorporate the
most features.

I would like to apologise for my ranting in the past, I promise you will
see a more
positive side of me from now on.