[compiz] Re: gnome-window-decorator -> gtk-window-decorator and some restructuring

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Sep 23 01:12:34 PDT 2006

David Reveman wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 13:37 -0400, Dan Winship wrote:
>> David Reveman wrote:
>>> I'm also going to split the gnome configure option into a gtk and a
>>> gnome option as the only gnome specific code that exist in the tree is
>>> the compiz-window-manager module
>> gconf is pretty much gnome-specific at this point in time
>
> OK. I don't know how big the interest is in running gwd outside of
> gnome. Making the gconf code in gwd optional wouldn't be very hard if we
> want that. I can also imaging that there might be people who want to
> build gwd without having contol-center and all it's dependencies
> installed.

I don't know how much of a political hot potato this suggestion will be....

If there is indeed a desire to drop such hard dependancy on gnome, would
you consider adopting the csm plugin from beryl into compiz?

In my mind this would achieve two goals in that you would be able to
drop the gconf dependancy for which there is no real reason to use other
than "it's there", but also that you'll get a working configuration
editor in the form of the csm application.

I've followed the compiz-quinnstrom -> beryl debate with close interest
and feel that chaning name to beryl will be a fantastic move for both
projects. Speaking as a packager, the current problem is that compiz and
 compiz-quinnstorm conflict. By changing name, this will be avoided and
allow both versions to be installed and experimented with (a good thing!)

I think it's a good idea as I really like the fact that David is wanting
to keep compiz "clean" and has a specific path for implementing e.g.
multi-head support etc. This is a good goal, but it does have the
downside that people like myself who need dual head support, cannot
really use compiz for anything other than a quick play.

This is where beryl comes in. It's not doing things in a "hacky" way, it
just accepts that some things are going to change in the future, but for
the here and now, let's just do it this way so we can carry on in the
mean time.

I really hope that a good sharing of features/fixes and plugins will
still flow both ways.

All the best

:)

Col