[CREATE] shared resources spec

Craig Bradney cbradney at zip.com.au
Mon Nov 7 06:17:41 PST 2005

On Monday 07 November 2005 14:33, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On 11/7/05, Craig Bradney <cbradney at zip.com.au> wrote:
> > Except there are very few good (for DTP at least) free fonts. So many of
> > the distros include the most buggy, unreliable, unrippable fonts. I guess
> > it would be a way of sorting out the junk from the rest. There would not
> > be many to install. You would have to separate them like:
> > /usr/share/fonts/DTP
> > /usr/share/fonts/web
> > but that will get messy with all the TTF/TTC/Type1/OTF/dfont etc etc
> > options out there. There are probably enough font standard locations now
> > without adding another.
>
> If distrubuting fonts in subdirectories is not related to proposal for
> "Better Font Selection Widget" by Edward H. Trager
> (http://eyegene.ophthy.med.umich.edu/unicode/fontdialog/), then I
> don't understands what advantages it would give us.

Well, IMNSHO, thats even harder to use than existing ones, I could be harsher
but I wont be, with all due respect to the creator. Cluttered and it looks
hard to use. Distribution of fonts doesn't need to relate at all to the GUI
representation of them. The fonts themselves include a lot of information,
but I can't image too many people being interested in cataloguing all the
(mostly crappy, in terms of the files themselves) free fonts plus all the
commercial ones.

Craig