[CREATE] Clipping Path names in TIFF files

Simon Budig simon at budig.de
Tue May 29 05:53:27 PDT 2007

Sven Neumann (sven at gimp.org) wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 02:15 +0200, Simon Budig wrote:
> > - if this is not possible, because the string contains glyphs outside
> >   the iso8859-15 range, we just use UTF-8, and prepend it with
> >   0xff 0xfe  (the unicode byte order marker) to make it a bit easier to
> >   detect a "free software style" encoded path name.
>
> You probably want to specify this more precisely. The Unicode byte
> marker is codepoint U+FEFF ("zero-width no-break space") and in UTF-8 it
> is encoded as the byte sequence EF BB BF. I think that's what you meant,
> just wanted to point this out to avoid misunderstandings.
>
> See  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_Order_Mark

Hmm, I am actually not sure what I meant  :)

The mark actually is not necessary for noting down some byte order or
something. We could also use an arbitrary character that is unlikely to
start a word and does not disturb the file loading in photoshop too
much. We could even try if one of the ASCII control characters is
invisible to photoshop users.

I originally did not plan to use some kind of mark for "our" utf-8
encoded strings: Just try to decode it as UTF-8 and if it works it
probably was an UTF-8 encoded name. If it doesn't work we fall back to
the adobe-iso-whatever encoding. But Franz thought it would be easier to
just have this kind of marker would be useful.

Bye,
        Simon
--
              simon at budig.de              http://simon.budig.de/