[CREATE] assets library

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Fri Sep 28 10:32:44 PDT 2007

Am 28.09.07, 10:25 +0200 schrieb Cyrille Berger:

> > > Can you give us an example of use for arbitary data that can't be added
> > > to the spec now or ever ? I am quiet wary of unspecified "arbitrary
> > > data", which means that an application can store usefull information in
> > > there, but be the only one able to read it.
> >
> > Look at the ICC, Tiff, OpenEXR or HTML specs. They all allow for
> > extensions in one or another form and only encurage to provide further
> > information and sometimes tries to coordinate later.
>
> I don't know about ICC enought to comment. But HTML do not allow extension on
> the spec, it's just that some main stream web browsers have extension to the
> spec, meaning some websites use them, meaning other web browsers have to cope
> finding information for the extension, while 99% of what is in the extension
> could have been done with a full implementation of the spec. TIFF and
> OpenEXR, I can't count people asking us to support one of this undocumented
> extension.

In text formats, if no other meachanism is provided, often new things
start to appear in comments ;-)

For instance the ICC profile in Tiff (v6.0 1992) is defined in the ICC
spec (1995?) not vice versa. Tiff was easy enough extensible to do such
things, Exif, geo referencing ... Ok, Adobe registers new TIFF tags on
request. But this makes no new standard.

Blender with its layer and compositing stack, exhibited in the OpenEXR
images is nowhere described in the OpenEXR spec. Even though it is
possible with this format.

These examples show how something new is possible with a extensible
specification, without touching such a spec.

> > For instance Oyranos needs short hand names of colour names and long
> > versions.
> Most of the spec out there have short name and long name. And it was clear to
> me that a comment field was needed

Fine.

> > If you dont like such in the spec, thats now an acceptable decision.
> > Just in Oyranos I wants to use the format with said non spec things and
> > possibly more like spectral data. The spec dont need to care, but
> > should be open to let others do what they see fit their needs.
> I doubt that you are the only one interested in spectral data.

Never said this. Argyll uses such and many packages out there.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management