[CREATE] ink/paper simulation

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 10:49:47 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Christoph Schäfer wrote:

> I also hope you understand that some vendors created Scribus XML files on
> their own, i.e. at their own cost, in the expectation of being mentioned as a
> supporter on the Scribus website in return. While the palettes themselves are
> freely licensed, it would seem a bit unfair to me to see them appear in other
> projects without any acknowledgement before we even added their logos to our
> site and shipped the palettes with Scribus. While I'm aware that some members
> are likely to disagree with my stance, I will stick to it. After all, it's me
> who is negotiating with vendors and trying convince them to make a deal that
> will allow for Free licensing ;)

One thing I'd love to see clear... Will vendors agree to have this
data be distributed in a centralized manner?

With all our talks on sharing resources like swatches it seems to be
about time to start investigating building a centralized host for
them. A host with a well documented client-server API, I'd say.

For a start this would involve looking around for existing solutions,
comparing them and figuring out which one is better. A prerequisite
for that would be general agreement among teams (Scribus, GIMP, Krita,
MyPaint, Inkscape, sK1, SwatchBooker for a start) to support
retrieving assets from central remote server. Because clearly this
will involve quite a lot of work on both backend and UI level in all
of the projects.

Another prerequisite (the very first one, really) would be
availability of people who would take care of such a host on daily
basis.

The final prerequisite would be complete new swatches file format (the
more I look at SwatchBooker the more I like would Olivier does in this
regard).

What do you think?

Alexandre