[CREATE] OpenRaster clarifications

Øyvind Kolås islewind at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 13:40:03 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Cyrille Berger<cberger at cberger.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 June 2009, Martin Renold wrote:
>> Thinking about this, I don't see any benefit for the width/height
>> attribute
>> at all, as opposed to using an explicit crop filter when needed.  It seems
>> like an unneccessary and tricky task to calculate those default values.
>
> When it comes to image, the width/height is needed, but optional, if
> width/height isn't defined, then the image has the size of the bounding box.

GEGL implements the image dimensions by the use of an implict crop
filter from the image elements width/height attributes or by explicit
crop filters in the stack(s), I think it is better to mandate
supporting width/height on the image element than mandating that all
implementations ship with the ability to crop arbitrary compositing
stacks.

                                                 -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/