[CREATE] Fwd: Re: [LGF-LGA] Ok, let's start with a website

ricardo lafuente bollecs at sollec.org
Mon Aug 16 03:26:15 PDT 2010

On 08/16/2010 10:57 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> I had the magazine idea a year ago: as a concept, few layout ideas and
> content plan for a couple of issues. But never had a team to support
> it and didn't see a way to make it financially rewarding.
> Ginger and Ricardo picked the idea

and Ana Carvalho

> and then Libre Graphics Magazine #0 was done
> for LGM this year. In three days.

Production was two days, actually :o)

> Amazing job they did, by the way. I
> wonder if they intend to work further on it.

This is a good cue. Ginger's reply said everything i would have --
having a real object that we can show people how FLOSS tools can get the
job done nicely is 1000x more effective in promoting FLOSS tools than
dry evangelising about software packages and their pros and cons.

Me and Ana would definitely be happy to go further with LGMag. Let me
emphasise that the #0 issue was produced on a 2-day sprint -- definitely
shedding my own preconceptions that publishing a magazine would be a
more sluggish and convoluted process*. And having that issue to show
skeptical designers how FLOSS can get stuff done is a godsend.

So yes, the team from LGM Magazine #0 is up for going on with the
project. We can go on discussing this on another thread.

One remark though -- i'm not fond of the idea of a PDF-only magazine.
Sure, we'd need to get funding and/or sponsorship to support the
printing costs, but a printed publication is many things that a PDF file
is not. (also, if it would be online-only, better to have a website
containing the desired content than a clunky PDF, IMHO.)

:r

* And of course, Ginger's awesome copyediting-fu is much to blame for
this having turned out right.