[CREATE] LGM11 panel proposal: attracting new devs

helen varley jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Mon Feb 21 02:39:48 PST 2011

very interesting idea to write the manual first :)

with UpStage, we are waiting for the release of a majorly altered &
enhanced media management system, & as this means rewriting half the
manual i thought, this is a good time to transfer the manual to
flossmanuals; so i started it, then i stopped because the students who
are doing the coding are behind schedule. however, now i think i might
just go ahead & write it anyway (with others hopefully contributing) &
point the students to it to to get them inspired & also perhaps pre-empt
some things that might have needed to be changed later.

h : )

On 21/02/11 7:30 AM, Christopher Adams wrote:
> Mushon,
>
> That is a really fine and provocative suggestion on your part—to write
> about software that does not exist but should. It seeks the excluded
> middle between the Floss Manuals which are too perfunctory on the one
> hand and too presumptuous on the other /(An Open Web,/ which I also
> worked on, being a species of the latter).
>
> LGM would be a great opportunity to see these possibilities played out.
>
> - Christopher
>

> ———
> christopher adams
> 86 186 1172 0021
> 49 15 156 219931
> 886 953 036 630
> 1 646 201 3335
> chris.raysend.com <http://chris.raysend.com>
>

> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 1:41 PM, jon at rejon.org <mailto:jon at rejon.org>
> <jon at rejon.org <mailto:jon at rejon.org>> wrote:
>
>     I totally agree Mushon. Totally. Manuals are dead. Atrophied. Even
>     worse when they get printed.
>
>     Yes, totally, make future manuals, then fill in the blanks to them.
>
>     That is totally the approach I took in participating in the open
>     web book:
>
>     http://openweb.flossmanuals.net/
>
>     There is a book sprint in Toronto by adam on the web from the 7 -
>     12...should talk with adam to see if possible to do one at LGM before
>     or after.
>
>     So what would the future manual look like? Ideas for that?
>
>     Jon
>
>     On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM, Mushon Zer-Aviv
>     <mushonitp at gmail.com <mailto:mushonitp at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     > On Feb 21, 2011, at 4:17, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com
>     <mailto:gpittman at iglou.com>> wrote:
>     >
>     > All fodder for discussion at LGM. Certainly we need to get out
>     of the dark
>     > ages of documentation as an afterthought.
>     >
>     > Greg
>     >
>     > This is actually a huge issue I recently discussed with Adam
>     Hyde of Floss
>     > Manuals. FM was initially established to address a blind-spot
>     for Floss —
>     > documentation. It developed the book sprint documentation
>     methodology which
>     > I am sure you guys are familiar with.
>     > Last year I participated in "Collaborative Futures" the first
>     book initiated
>     > by FM that was not documenting a procedure but describing the
>     past, present
>     > and future of open networked collaboration. It was much much
>     harder, but
>     > there was something there that really clicked. And after a
>     second sprint on
>     > the book I actually think it's a quite recommended read. (and it
>     is always
>     > available for further editing)
> [...]

helen varley jamieson: creative catalyst
helen at creative-catalyst.com
http://www.creative-catalyst.com
http://www.avatarbodycollision.org
http://www.upstage.org.nz