[CREATE] Code of Conduct

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Jan 14 16:47:53 PST 2014

RTA this time

> On 14 Jan 2014 16:09, "Tobias Ellinghaus" <houz at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > Am Dienstag, 14. Januar 2014, 22:40:51 schrieb Andrew Chadwick:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Codes of conduct are mostly just "don't be obnoxious; listen, respect,
> > > learn" written out in long form with some specifics about what's not
> > > to be tolerated. Granted, they say what shouldn't need to be said and
> > > are always written in the hope they don't have to be invoked; but they
> > > also publicly state that the organizers care about what happens to
> > > people at the conference and how welcome they feel.
> >
> > I don't know about you, but when I approach a group of people that have
given
> > themselves rules like that my first thought would be "OMFG, do I really
want to
> > get in touch with them? Terrible things must have happened there".

That attitude is a fine example of white male privilege.

I'm a white male, and I want to welcome people who are not like me. If they
want a coc, we should give them one. If PSF wants one to give us money to
find their travel to join us, all the better.

I think a coc also helps mitigate the tyranny of structurelessness.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tyranny_of_Structurelessness