[CREATE] Code of Conduct

Susan Spencer susan.spencer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 20:36:35 PST 2014

It seems this discussion is taking place
around three definition sets of heinous behaviors.

The 1st set contains injustices against groups
as described by Hin-tak  (Hi Hin-tak! :D)

The 2nd set of heinous behaviors is contained
within the 1st set. It is the set of
injustices committed against women.

The 3rd set is within the 2nd, and is the set of injustices
which are committed against women
in the working place and in professional settings.

LGM is a professional setting.
Open source conferences historically have been places
where women are ostracized, insulted
and humiliated. Many, many women have gone
to open source conferences only to find that
they have wasted their time, money and effort.
These conferences should be events where their
career gains momentum, not where their career
is ruined.

The only reason that LGM is being asked
to have a CoC is to help erradicate behaviors
which have been shoving women to the back of the
professional line.

There are always people who constantly must
put others down in order to feel good about themselves.
A Code of Conduct is usually implemented to indicate that
insults and injuries should be dispensed *equally* against
women and men, such that there isn't a larger proportion
being aimed at women's ability to program, their intelligence,
their personalities, their <fillintheblank>, and that
lewd wisecracks aren't made which by definition
render women excluded from the group who laugh
at the 'joke'.

So when someone posts on this thread, it would
help me to know which set of heinous behaviors they
are addressing.

PSF is clearly concerned about the third smallest set,
which is the most critical in affecting the number
of women in the open source community.

LGM attendees have always followed the rules of polite society
so well that there has been no need to mention the rules.
But LGM is growing...

We can't eradicate stupid ridiculous behavior,
but we can at least join the effort to keep it from sweeping
the XXs out of the IT gene pool.

Solidarność,

Susan