[CREATE] Code of Conduct

Susan Spencer susan.spencer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 19:09:02 PST 2014

I applaud the statements that the LGM CoC should be phrased in a positive
way.

But this is not about staying within comfort zones, its about protecting
people.
If anyone were comfortable with this subject matter then they would be very
odd indeed.

Many people in Alabama can't talk about race properly because it makes them
uncomfortable. They can only discuss it in the abstract, and circle around
it without coming to any accountability. These conversations are very
familiar to me.  On the surface it sounds reasonable, but what it means is
that should an issue occur then the community feels entitled to complain
about the issue because it makes them uncomfortable, not because something
bad has happened.

So please consider the practical nature of the CoC, and embrace a small bit
of 'uncomfortableness' because it may help someone in the future.