[CREATE] Code of Conduct

Øyvind Kolås pippin at gimp.org
Thu Jan 16 00:44:12 PST 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 4:09 AM, Susan Spencer <susan.spencer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I applaud the statements that the LGM CoC should be phrased in a positive
> way.
>
> But this is not about staying within comfort zones, its about protecting
> people.
> If anyone were comfortable with this subject matter then they would be very
> odd indeed.
>
> So please consider the practical nature of the CoC, and embrace a small bit
> of 'uncomfortableness' because it may help someone in the future.

I expect everyone considering to attend a conference to read and
understand a code of conduct. To me, the hate-speech against humanity
CoC, is the same as showing a graphically explicit video of examples
of non-toleratable behavior at the start of the meeting (perhaps
daily); similar to a safety video on an airplane. The first time I
read this text; it caused be to be disgusted with a conference I had
enjoyed attending the year before - in the end I chose to attend and
express the reaction I had to the new humanity hostile impression the
conference now was tainted with.