[CREATE] Code of Conduct

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Jan 17 00:32:07 PST 2014

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 16. Januar 2014 um 19:41 Uhr
Von: "Susan Spencer" <susan.spencer at gmail.com>
An: "ale rimoldi" <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch>
Cc: "Create ML" <create at lists.freedesktop.org>
Betreff: Re: [CREATE] Code of Conduct

This is a great code of conduct for community at large. (Thanks Jon!)
http://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/

And this is a great procedural implementaiton of a code of conduct, needed for a convention.
https://us.pycon.org/2013/about/code-of-conduct/[https://us.pycon.org/2013/about/code-of-conduct/]

They are two different things, they back each other up.
Both are necessary.

Sorry if it is uncomfortable, but it's certainly not hate speech.
A Code of Conduct is not a villainous bogeyman.
CoCs help keep people safe.

Hi,

I tried to stay away from this discussion, but Susan's latest remarks crossed a line.

Quotes/comments:

Q: "Both are necessary."
C: Please explain why.

Q: "CoCs help keep people safe."
C: Please explain how a CoC can help to keep people safe. Also define who's being threatened, who's the threat, what's the threat, and who's the safeguard against threats. If a threat can't be identified with a single person or a group, please define what else should be considered a threat and how a CoC can "help (to) keep people safe" other than law enforcement or civic common sense. Could it be that "safety" is increasingly becoming an alias for "suppressing views or certain forms of speach I don't like"?

Please don't try to interpret what I wrote above in a US context, as I'm a European and rather centre-left-leaning. Freedom of expression is essential to my understanding of freedom and democracy, even if free expression may step on someone's toes. Free societies rely on open and sometimes heated public debates. Adding layers and layers of taboos doesn't protect anyone. It only helps to grow dissatisfaction and prejudices.

Christoph