[CREATE] Code of Conduct

Susan Spencer susan.spencer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 10:07:49 PST 2014

Hi Christoph,

Well, I suppose that a Code of Conduct is meaningless without a plan to
implement it.  No need for chaos and confusion and miscommunication to
erupt if an incident occurs.  Having a process defined is always the most
efficient way to handle any potential occurrence (this goes for running a
convention as well as running a data center).  It's just logical and
practical.  It's like having an emergency exit plan posted for use in the
event of fire.  It's no good to figure out what to do, word it properly,
and post it once a fire breaks out. It's only good if it's posted and
everyone knows about it beforehand.  And it doesn't increase the risk of
fire. And no one believes that it implies that the building is a wreck and
a fire hazard, so no one is insulted or made uncomfortable by it.

The discussion about keeping people safe and providing a reasonable
assurance of a respectful environment has been all over the web for years.
 I can't possibly cover all the bases about this, especially to everyone's
satisfaction.  I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm avoiding the issue, but
truly there is so much content that I would be spending several days trying
to provide you a synopsis.  Perhaps, if you are interested, you could
investigate how other companies and organizations have implemented their
policies and post what you think everyone should know.