[CREATE] Last round of comments: LGM Code of Conduct

Femke Snelting snelting at collectifs.net
Mon May 26 05:39:38 PDT 2014

Dear Ale, Anders,

As you can imagine your point of view has come up in the many discussions that lead to the formulation of this document.

The reason to have examples included, is that experience learns (from many other groups that have done CoCs and/or that have dealt with harassment), that concrete cases are necessary in order for a CoC to work. The argument being that it should be explicit from the start that harassment is a reality and that it should not be the problem of someone that feels harassed to convince others that such behaviour exists. Even when the general tone of the document is constructive, this  CoC exists for a reason.

So while all involved in the drafting of it agreed to have examples, we felt it was not up to us to formulate a list of specific cases. We decided to refer to the timeline of incidents, as it is the only well-documented page on harassment in relevant contexts that we are aware of.

The LGM-CoC addresses all types of harassment, and not only those that are gender related. While I think the 'geek' and 'feminism' in the url is a detail, I do share your concern that the examples are mainly gender related (it is not true that they are only about harassment against women).

At the end of the day we were more concerned by not having any examples at all, than to have only examples of a limited  scope. Of course, if there are other sources that you can suggest, it would be very good to include them.

best,

Femke