[CREATE] Last round of comments: LGM Code of Conduct

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Mon May 26 07:04:14 PDT 2014

> Dear Ale, Anders,
>
> As you can imagine your point of view has come up in the many discussions
> that lead to the formulation of this document.
>
> The reason to have examples included, is that experience learns (from many
> other groups that have done CoCs and/or that have dealt with harassment),
> that concrete cases are necessary in order for a CoC to work. The argument
> being that it should be explicit from the start that harassment is a
> reality and that it should not be the problem of someone that feels
> harassed to convince others that such behaviour exists. Even when the
> general tone of the document is constructive, this  CoC exists for a reason.
>
> So while all involved in the drafting of it agreed to have examples, we
> felt it was not up to us to formulate a list of specific cases. We decided
> to refer to the timeline of incidents, as it is the only well-documented
> page on harassment in relevant contexts that we are aware of.
>
> The LGM-CoC addresses all types of harassment, and not only those that are
> gender related. While I think the 'geek' and 'feminism' in the url is a
> detail, I do share your concern that the examples are mainly gender related
> (it is not true that they are only about harassment against women).

Hi Femke,

I think the fact that "the examples are mainly gender related", while the
possible behaviors we want to avoid and act upon embraces a wider range of
threats, is at the heart of the concerns expressed here.

To sort this out, I would suggest we include a couple more examples that
are not gender specific (examples below).

I don’t know if this would make a consensus but I would hope so.

For one, I feel a bit uncomfortable with that only one link and after
having read the comments.

I also agree that the links should go towards a page we have control over
as Simon as pointed it.

> At the end of the day we were more concerned by not having any examples at
> all, than to have only examples of a limited  scope. Of course, if there
> are other sources that you can suggest, it would be very good to include
> them.
>

>From the Swansea University (UK) we have well written definitions and
examples followed by a section about what to do when being harassed or
feeling harassed that could inspire us for the "how to deal with issues".
https://www.swan.ac.uk/registry/academicguide/conductandcomplaints/dignityatworkandstudycombatingharassment/1introduction/

>From École Polytechnique de Montréal (English version of the document).
Especially the section about definition is of much interest in my view and
has the benefit of putting into a simple wording what is harassment without
going into all the details. Well worth reading, I think.
http://www.polymtl.ca/sg/docs_officiels/en/1310har3.htm

>From the London School of Economics
http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/staff/humanResources/reviewingAndRewarding/promotionAndReview/disciplinaryGrievance/harassment/examplesOfDifferentTypesOfHarassment.aspx

The American point of view
http://www.strategichr.com/shrsweb2/harassment_01.shtml

Some additionnal links:

The Ada Initiative
https://adainitiative.org/what-we-do/conference-policies/

The New York University Anti-Harassment Policy
http://www.nyu.edu/about/policies-guidelines-compliance/policies-and-guidelines/anti-harassment-policy-and-complaint-procedures.html

Python Software Foundation CoC
https://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct/
and