[CREATE] Open WG on Complex Text Layout in Scribus

Andreas Vox avox at arcor.de
Mon May 18 09:52:11 PDT 2015

Von: Camille Bissuel [mailto:camille at nylnook.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 18. Mai 2015 17:16
An: Andreas Vox
Cc: Create
Betreff: Re: [CREATE] Open WG on Complex Text Layout in Scribus

Hi Andreas,
and first of all, bravo ! It's a very important goal !
I will not be able to help on code side... but as a Scribus user and teacher, my first question is : why not release Scribus in version 1.6 before to start such a big and complex integration project ?
I'm afraid users will have to wait 3 more years for a Scribus stable release if we wait for this Harfbuzz integration... Not this is not useful and needed, but as we already discussed at Madrid (LGM2013 !) I'd personally hope for a more "release early/release often" politic in Scribus development. Maybe moving to git as ale advocated is another way.

Thanks for you great work anyways ;)
Camille

Hi Camille,

I'm afraid that won't work. Most of the stuff I like to do relies on large changes to the code base and it's just no fun to work with the old mess.
Personally, I won't get involved with the properties palette rewrite -- that would be the other chunk of work that's on our todo list. This way
I hope the CTL team and the other devs can work in parallel. In fact, in theory it would be possible to release 1.6 after any of the milestones I outlined,
so we don't necessarily have to wait on the CTL stuff.

BTW, a lot of the smaller bugs will be fixed in the 1.5.0 release, last not least the possibility to enter accented characters in canvas.

/Andreas