DBUS and Wine ?

Havoc Pennington hp@redhat.com
06 Oct 2003 21:39:23 -0400

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 13:38, Evalet Olivier wrote:
> > Are you sure you want an IPC mechanism rather than a component system
> > like UNO or XPCOM?
>
> XPCOM is only for communicating between components within a process.
> Wine is not a standard Linux library. To share wine components I must
> use an IPC/RPC mechanism. I use to think, that DBUS, DCOP, CORBA and UNO
> was similar. Furthermore, a wine-developer advises me to use DBUS.
>
> But technically, I don't know what is the better solution.

I can't really give you an opinion without understanding a lot more
about WINE and WINE components.

> Just: I like the message concept, without using kind of IDL compiler.
> And I'm looking for DBUS Interface exemple in pure C.

There isn't a plain simple example with the raw D-BUS APIs. The focus is
on the GLib/Qt wrapper APIs (which aren't finished).

I started on a tutorial that you may want to read (see web site) but it
doesn't have simple examples yet.

There are lots of complicated examples (the wrapper APIs use the raw C
APIs, and the bus daemon uses the raw C APIs).

Havoc