dbus-send error

Owen Fraser-Green owen at discobabe.net
Tue Mar 30 06:05:30 PST 2004

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 15:52, Anthony Metcalf wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:34:35 +0200
> Owen Fraser-Green <owen at discobabe.net> wrote:
>
> > dbus-send --type=method_call --print-reply
> > --dest='org.freedesktop.DBus'/org/freedesktop/DBus
> > org.freedesktop.DBus.ServiceExists
> > string:'org.freedesktop.ExampleService'
> This gives:
>
> root at anferny root # dbus-send --type=method_call --system --print-reply
> --dest='org.freedesktop.DBus' /org/freedesktop/DBus
> org.freedesktop.DBus.ServiceExists
> string:'org.freedesktop.ExampleService' method return;
> sender=org.freedesktop.DBus int32:0
> root at anferny root #
>
> I take it that worked? and that the int32:0 returned means that
> org.freedesktop.ServiceExists is false? and so doesn't exist. I would
> assume a service that exists would give a 1?

That's right.

> Thanks I guess that means that dbus is working. I don't see anything in
> dbus monitor though, that's running in another vt (hence the use of
> --system).

No, this is something that has puzzled me with dbus-monitor. Taking a
quick look at the source I see that it calls dbus_connection_add_filter
and I'm not sure if that will ever see anything without either having
owned a service or calling dbus_bus_add_match but maybe someone can set
me straight on that one.

Someone posted a patch to dbus-monitor a couple of months ago to this
list which you may find in the archives. I think it let dbus-monitor
take a rule parameter so you could do:

dbus-monitor ''

to see everything.

Cheers,