Details vs Match On Args

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 05:23:09 EST 2005

I've been thinking about it a bit and I think we need to do a match on
arguments instead of details.

So it has been discussed adding filtering of messages based on
arguments.  We were either going to go with this or the details patch
sent awhile ago to deal with signals waking up threads because matching
was not granular enough [1].

In my opinion I think we need to match on args to be more flexible and
also add wildcard matching.  The reason I want to do this is so a
program can watch for specific names coming on the bus without getting
deluged by all the names that attach to the bus.  The wildcard matching
would be for listening for specific namespaces such as listening for all
names that start with org.freedesktop.* (more compelling would be
org.gnome.Service.*).  Matching on args also has the advantage of being
instantly useful without having to think about what data would be
relevant to place in a arbitrary details field.

I'm going to whip up a patch when I find the time.  What do other people
think?

1. http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2005-June/002746.html