My d-bus doesn't work, or does it?

Nick Gray nagray at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 7 17:42:36 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 01:15 +0100, Tako Schotanus wrote:
> With respect to this problem, I always wondered what would be the best
> way to test DBus-CVS while still keeping the official version around and
> without messing anything up.
>
> How do y'all do it?
>
> Thanks,
>  -Tako
>
> Nick Gray wrote:

Along those lines, I had a bit of an adventure today. I spoke a bit with
a list member on how to do this. His suggestion was to compile dbus with
the prefix set to a temporary build path. I used /data/build/dbus since
my /data partition is a separate disk.

At that point, you should be able to shutdown the RPM installed daemon,
and start the PREFIXed daemon. When you are done shut down the PREFIXed
daemon and restart the RPM daemon.

I didn't make it this far! I noticed that the version 0.31 came out and
I proceeded to download and compile it, the same way. Unfortunately my
build failed and after a little investigation, I discovered that 0.31 is
using functions in Gtk version 2.6 ( gtk_combo_box_get_active_text )

(My fedora core 3 has 2.4.XXX) Well, I thought I would give yum a try~!
That didn't work! After several downloads I noticed that I wasn't really
installing anything. Due to some Yum quirk! Back to the drawing board. I
tried to do RPM -U, but found out that that there is a lot depending on
Gtk, and it wasn't very easy to update.

So now I need to figure out how to either update what I got or build
something new with all of the up-to-date libs!