D-Bus daemon on Solaris wants to be root

Michael Krivoruchko misha at Sun.COM
Tue Oct 4 10:01:54 PDT 2005

Hi lads,

I noticed some strange problem with D-Bus daemon on Solaris. By some
unknown yet reason the D-Bus daemon would not work correctly unless it
runs as root as well as client and service.

After I started the D-Bus daemon, I run dbus-monitor as a mortal user:

$dbus-monitor --system
Failed to open connection to system message bus: No reply within specified time

I built D-Bus with JDS tool-chain (JDS-CBE) on Solaris 10 x86. This
means Sun complier (Sun C 5.7 Patch 117837-05 2005/07/19) had been used.

  ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local --disable-gtk --disable-tests --with-dbus-user=dbus

I used the default configuration file. I also tried to comment out
'<auth>EXTERNAL</auth>' tag without any difference in results.

When I run dbus-daemon with nofork option:

   dbus-daemon --system --nofork

the daemon produce no output which I expected to see with verbose mode
is on.

I would appreciate any help with these issues.
Misha