PATCH: get unix user speed up

Michael Krivoruchko misha at sun.com
Mon Oct 24 18:06:33 PDT 2005

Havoc,

On 25/10/05 00:17, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 16:59 +0100, Michael Krivoruchko wrote:
>> For per-user daemon, you described at the bottom of the following message,
>> a well known name on the system bus would be right place, I believe.
>>
>>    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2005-September/003417.html
>>

> What I was trying to say there was that you'd do something like a bus
> name:
>
>  org.freedesktop.UserBus.username
>
> So to get the user daemon for user "hp" you just check
> org.freedesktop.UserBus.hp
>
> Or maybe you use uid instead of username, but same idea.

I understood.

> I understood you to be saying that there would be one name like:
>  org.freedesktop.UserBus
>
> and its owner would appear different depending on which user asked about
> it. That's what I think would be complicated to implement.

Yes. I think 'org.freedesktop.AddressBook' would be better example of
a per-user name because such name might represent per-user "service".

The implementation would add "extra dimension" to the code which maps
a name to a connection. At the moment code uses linear search (peeks
the first connection from the list). I think, we could add a uid to
connection map which will be used for per-user names.

Misha