Problems connecting to abstract sockets

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Tue Feb 28 13:07:37 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 14:32 -0500, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> Wonder if anyone is seeing this or may know what causes this issue.
> D-Bus is starting up fine in both the system and the session.  Apps can
> talk to the system bus but on some installations of Fedora we are seeing
> apps not being able to connect to the session socket (they get a
> connection refused).  SELinux is not the issue as far as we can tell and
> doing a netstat does show the socket in a listening state.  Perhaps
> someone with better socket knowledge than I can point me in the right
> direction.

Never mind.  Botched RPM upgrade had left an old version of the daemon
in /usr/bin which had an ABI incompatible change (i.e. we now truncate
socket structures to the header + sizeof the socket name).  We now
install the daemon to /bin in order to start d-bus early in the boot.
While the system daemon was being started from /bin the session daemon
is executed in the path where /usr/bin comes first, picking up the wrong
daemon.