1.0 release [was: Re: One user morne than one time logged in.]

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 12:11:52 PST 2006

David Zeuthen wrote:
> Seriously, how many people do you know that logs into more than one
> desktop session on a single system with the same user? I'm not saying we
> shouldn't do a per-user bus (not at this point anyway) but, eh, saying
> it's more important than 1.0 and the promised ABI stability [1] is
> something I strongly disagree with.

Yes, I agree that getting 1.0 out *is* more important, I was just taking
the opportunity to express my concern that it doesn't seem to be going
anywhere currently. I'm admit that I'm not massively helping things
along atm, but that's because I'm very busy at the moment. I'm working
on pretty complicated D-Bus based software, and the concept of a 1.0
release worries me with the bindings in their current state.

I'd be happy to call the library and daemon 1.0, but I still keep
finding serious holes in the bindings I'm using (glib and python) which
could very realistically be made hard/impossible to fix by commiting to
an ABI. As a random idea, could we move all of the bindings into
seperate trees and version them seperately, or do we need to lay down
some commitment about what's required for a supported binding for 1.0
and get them up to scratch before releasing?

>     David

Regards,
Rob