Perl bindings release 0.33.3

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Thu Jul 6 21:05:41 PDT 2006

An updated release of the Perl Net::DBus bindings, version 0.33.3 is now
available from CPAN at:

  http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/D/DA/DANBERR/Net-DBus-0.33.3.tar.gz

With online browsable documentation at:

  http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/Net-DBus-0.33.3/

This release should work with all versions of DBus betwween 0.33.0 and current
CVS tip. I explicitly test on Fedora Core 4 (dbus-0.33) and Fedora Core 5
(dbus-0.61) distros at this time.

Bullet point list of changes is:

  http://search.cpan.org/src/DANBERR/Net-DBus-0.33.3/CHANGES

The long answer is....

First off all, a non-technical change in this release is changing the
distribution license for the code from GPL to GPL / Artistic. This
brings Net-DBus into line with the common licensing terms for 95%
of Perl code on CPAN. It also gives compatability with a much broader
range of licenses, making life easier for developers whose apps are
open source, but not neccessarily GPL licensed. Thanks to all the
people who've contributed patches for agreeing to this change in
license terms.

Onto technical issues, at the request of several users I have stopped
using the Perl XML::Grove modules, and instead use XML::Twig. The former
have not had a new release in many years & caused  compatability problems
for some newer Perl deployments. The new XML::Twig module is a well
regarded replacement.

The Net::DBus::Error module is now a fully fledged object which developers
can subclass if they want to throw explicitly named DBus errors, rather
than the generic org.freedesktop.DBus.Failed.

The work on supporting asynchronous remote method calls is now 100%
complete, allowing invocation of callbacks with the asyn method completes,
removing the need to periodically poll for completion.

The 'mock' bus which provides a framework for application unit testing
without need to contact the real bus had some major backend changes.
This solves the often reported problem of 'make test' failed when run
against a DBus library with assertion checking enabled.

A handful of other bugs were also fixed - correctly deal with an empty
XML doc returned by Introspect, use 'strict' and 'warnings' pragmas
in all modules, and POD documentation fixes.

Now that the other language bindings have moved out of CVS into GIT,
I'm going to see about moving the Perl bindings out of my personal
Mercurial server & into the DBus Freedesktop GIT server so anyone on
the DBus team can hack on them as needed.

Regards,
Dan.